Saturday, November 29, 2014

The Newborn King

Today I woke up to find a very thin layer of snow here in Victoria, BC. This used to be a rare occurrence, but it seems nearly every year of late, this happens once or twice a year. But it did remind me that Christmas is not far off.

I'm sharing with you today a card I made using "The Newborn King" stamp set. I don't have any Blendabilities yet, so how could I use this stamp? This is what I came up with.


You will note that by tracing "Glory" with Dazzling Details made the Mossy Meadows ink run. It had never done that before, so I was disappointed when it happened. You can see that on the So Saffron star it is fine.

This is what you see when you open the card.


First, I used a 1 3/8" punched circle scrap to lay over the nativity and with a sponge blended So Saffron ink around the outside of the circle. Once I was happy with the colour, I removed the circle and lightly blended the inside of the circle leaving the center untouched. Then came a light blending of Pool Party, and then Marina Mist.

Next, I took three different designs of green paper from Trim The Tree Designer pack, stamping the image on each. I cut out some of the treetops from each and paper pieced the stamped image.The star hanging, is the star from the stamp set "Festival of Trees" (stamped twice for front and back).


If you are going to paper piece, be sure that your image doesn't have a paper piecing section on the fold of the card like the section of tree you see on the fold.




Blues and silvers/grays, or blues and gold would look good too!

Measurements

Card
Naturals White - 4 1/4" x 11" - score @ 5 1/2"
Chocolate Chip - 4 1/4" x 11" - score @ 5 1/2" then turn cardstock to other side & score at 3" & 8"

First die cut your circle from the center before folding any scorelines. Using the Whisper White ink and the treetop part of the stamp, create a top and bottom border on the Chocolate Chip card interior piece. Then stamp your sentiment on the left panel.

Card front layers
Chocolate Chip - 5" x 3 3/4"
Cherry Cobbler - 4 7/8" x 3 5/8"
Naturals White - 4 3/8" x 3 1/8"

I found the Mossy Meadows ink looked too black, so I decided to second stamp with this colour and it looks more green. Create the border on the Naturals white piece with Mossy Meadows ink in the same manner as with the border on the Chocolate Chip piece but going around all four sides. Then stamp the sentiment, then the star with So Saffron.

The products used for this card can be found below.

Hope you are inspired to create cards like this one using whatever stamps you wish. And don't forget my Stampin' Up Give-a-way!

Have fun!


Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog

No comments: